Introduction to Servlets:
- Java servlets are small, platform-independent Java programs that can be used to extend the functionality of a Web server in variety of ways.
- Small java programs compiled to bytecode that can be loaded dynamically and that extends the capabilities of the host.
- A client program , which could be a web browser or some other program that can make connections across the internet, accesses a web server and makes a request.
- This request is processed by the servlet engine that runs with the web server , which returns response to a servlet.
- the servlet in turn sends a response in HTTP form to the client.
- In functionality servlets lie somewhere between Common Gateway Interface (CGI) programs.
What is Servlet?
- Servlet is a java based web technology to develop server side programs to make a web site interactive.
- Servlet is an API.
- A collection of library interfaces and classes of two pavkages is nothing but servlet API.
- A collection of library methods of above two packages is nothing but servlet API.
- Servlet is specification.
- Servlet is a J2EE technology.