- Released on 23 January 1996, JDK 1.0 version.
- Released on 19 February 1997 JDK 1.1 version.
New features in JDK 1.1
- JDBC (Java Database Connectivity)
- Inner Classes
- Java Beans
- RMI (Remote Method Invocation)
- Reflection (introspection only)
- Released on 8 December 1998 J2SE 1.2 version.
New features in J2SE 1.2
- Collections framework.
- Java String memory map for constants.
- Just In Time (JIT) compiler.
- Jar Signer for signing Java ARchive (JAR) files.
- Policy Tool for granting access to system resources.
- Java Foundation Classes (JFC) which consists of Swing 1.0, Drag and Drop, and Java 2D class libraries.
- Java Plug-in
- Scrollable result sets, BLOB, CLOB, batch update, user-defined types in JDBC.
- Audio support in Applets.
- Released on 8 May 2000 J2SE 1.3 version.
New features in J2SE 1.3
- Java Sound
- Jar Indexing
- A huge list of enhancements in almost all the java area.
- Released on 6 February 2002 J2SE 1.4 version.
New features in J2SE 1.4
- XML Processing
- Java Print Service
- Logging API
- Java Web Start
- JDBC 3.0 API
- Preferences API
- Chained Exception
- IPv6 Support
- Regular Expressions
- Image I/O API
- Released on 30 September 2004 J2SE 1.5 version.
New features in J2SE 1.5
- Released on 11 December 2006 J2SE 1.6 version.
New features in J2SE 1.6
- Scripting Language Support
- JDBC 4.0 API
- Java Compiler API
- Pluggable Annotations
- Native PKI, Java GSS, Kerberos and LDAP support.
- Integrated Web Services.
- Lot more enhancements.
- Released on 28 July 2011 J2SE 1.7 version.
New features in J2SE 1.7
- Strings in switch Statement
- Type Inference for Generic Instance Creation
- Multiple Exception Handling
- Support for Dynamic Languages
- Try with Resources
- Java nio Package
- Binary Literals, underscore in literals
- Diamond Syntax
- Automatic null Handling
- Released on 18th march 2014 JDK 1.8 version.
New features in JDK 1.8
- Default and Static methods in Interface
- Lambda Expressions
- Method References
- Data Time API
- Parallel Arrays